Happy New Year
Category : Uncategorized
Happy New Year!
Looking back over the past year, I’m amazed at what we’ve been able to accomplish.
- As you may know, LBC launched our foie gras campaign last spring. The campaign has generated so much media interest that we’ve been covered nearly thirty times by media outlets ranging from the Globe & Mail to Business in Vancouver. And with our members’ help, LBC effectively convinced Overwaitea Foods, Oyama Sausage, Cafe de Paris, Meinhardt Fine Foods, Aqua Riva, Bacchus, Cru, Gastropod, the Greedy Pig and Connor Butler to permanently drop foie gras from their establishments. To date we’ve collected almost 3,000 signatures in favour of a ban on the sale of foie gras in Vancouver.
- Important local victories over fur have been won by LBC throughout the year: Bosley’s Pet Food Plus removed fur-lined dog sweaters from every store, Tisol agreed to stop selling almost* all fur toys, Boys’Co pulled fur products from all their stores in the middle of the holiday shopping season, and, after an LBC in-store disruption, the Bay dropped their weekly fur ads in the Vancouver Sun. (*As of this date, Tisol still carries fur-covered mice dipped in catnip, which they keep behind the counter and only sell to customers who request them.)
- After three years of relentless protesting and millions of leaflets distributed by LBC in the Vancouver area, we managed to shut down the Broadway Street KFC. What’s more, we were instrumental in forcing KFC Canada to become the first in the world to adopt PETA’s recommended standards for the millions of chickens killed by KFC Canada each year. Read more about this decision here.
- LBC distributed Vegan Outreach booklets to nearly 3,000 people while showing the video Meet Your Meaton Robson Street! (Check out a Vegan Outreach booklet here. PDF file)
- Animals don’t need to suffer to help people. With many generous contributions, we collected 99 pounds of vegan food for the Greater Vancouver Food Bank this holiday season!
Please donate to Liberation BC now to help us continue to make a difference for animals in your community in 2009! Check out our donation wishlist. With your help, we can accomplish much more and make a greater difference for the animals in the coming year. Please, donate now.