Valentine’s Day foie gras protest at Cru

Valentine’s Day foie gras protest at Cru

Happy Valentine's Day!

Happy Valentine's Day!

Almost a year ago, the owner of Cru, Mark Taylor, had sent me an email saying that foie gras was permanently off their menu. However, they have continued to serve foie gras occasionally and decided to put it on their special Valentine’s Day menu.

This is yet another example of the lack of integrity shown by these “business” owners. (I previously wrote about it in this post.) What are their words worth?

We gathered a dozen people or so for this protest, which was the Vancouver portion of an international day of protest against foie gras organized by Farm Sanctuary, asking people to share some of the love with animals on this Valentine’s Day.

We had a really good response from the people walking by, and collected a fair number of signatures for the petition to ban foie gras in Vancouver. People across the street at the bus stop kept asking what was going on and we had to send some people over to their side of the road to give out information and collect signatures.

After the protest a bunch of us went to Hon’s on Robson for some delicious cheap Chinese food. I love Hon’s.

Ed Coffin

February 17, 2009 at 4:58 pm

Great work!

February 20, 2009 at 2:25 pm

Woohoo!!

MichelleLauren

March 11, 2009 at 9:49 pm

FugUCru!

Briane Peese

May 30, 2009 at 6:53 am

Awesome – way to go to Hon’s to prove your point. Cheap Chinese food is predicated on cruelly treated, factory-farmed chicken, beef, and pork. You just demonstrated how completely, dangerously, and hypocritically ignorant you are on this issue. Keep up the good work!

May 30, 2009 at 8:06 am

Interesting point. We selected Hon’s because they have an all-vegetarian kitchen. Does Cru have an all-vegetarian kitchen? They also don’t serve the meat of any animals that have been force-fed, nor do they serve veal, which is more than I can say for many of our other options.

A

September 4, 2009 at 3:48 pm

Hon’s is not chinese food. I am offended how you degrated my culture.

September 4, 2009 at 3:58 pm

“Hon’s is not chinese food. I am offended how you degrated my culture.” Really? I was sure that Hon’s was Chinese. It’s Cantonese, right? They say they serve “Chinese cuisine” on their website.

A

September 4, 2009 at 8:15 pm

There is so much more to Chinese food. Even a simple rice dish has a complexity of flavors. It’s not that the chefs at Hon’s are incapabale; they just don’t care. Not respecting the ingredients and the food they serve is, to me, cruelty to food.

September 5, 2009 at 8:49 am

Ah, I get what you mean.

Mike Hunt

December 30, 2009 at 7:54 pm

I LOVE FOIS GRAS! GET A LIFE AND SUPPORT HUMAN CAUSES FIRST. GET YOUR PRIORITIES STRAIGHT!! DUMB FUCKS!!!

December 30, 2009 at 8:32 pm

That’s about the quality of comment I’d expect from a foie gras lover. Your arguments and logic are astonishing.

A

January 9, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Let’s not generalize fois gras lovers. I fancy the occasional fois gras myself. The difference is that I can accept your views as well. Are your movements going to stop me from eating fois gras? No. But I don’t think you are dumb fucks. Once again you have offended me.

January 13, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Why can’t any “foie gras” lovers spell it right? Seriously.

A

January 18, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Thank you for bringing that to my attention. I always had troubles spelling, and obviously still do. Not to make excuses, but English is a second language for me. I also do not know French very well either. In case you try to be technical and use that against me! Lol!