A bit of a meta-post on the Worldwatch report

  • 1

A bit of a meta-post on the Worldwatch report

Eric Marcus wrote on his blog yesterday about the recent WorldWatch article which concluded that animal agriculture is responsible for a whopping 51% of global greenhouse gas emissions. Marcus quotes from Dave Steele, who has written an analysis of the report.

To sum up, Dave found that the actual number, based on the information from WorldWatch, is more like 30%, which is a lot less, but is still a whole lot. There is a link to Dave’s analysis at the end of Eric Marcus’s post.

I wanted to mention this here because the numbers are important and it’s good to always have the latest information at hand, and because Dave is a good friend and a good guy. He’s also a scientist, so he knows what he’s talking about. Dave helped us out with our environment leaflet.

In slightly related news, an article appeared in The Times this morning: “Climate chief Lord Stern: give up meat to save the planet“.

People will need to turn vegetarian if the world is to conquer climate change, according to a leading authority on global warming.

In an interview with The Times, Lord Stern of Brentford said: “Meat is a wasteful use of water and creates a lot of greenhouse gases. It puts enormous pressure on the world’s resources. A vegetarian diet is better.”

A screenshot of the Drudge Report this morning

A screenshot of the Drudge Report this morning

What’s extra great about this article is that it showed up as the headline article on the conservative news site, the Drudge Report. For an hour or two this morning everyone who went to the Drudge Report website saw that headline as the main headline. And a lot of people go to that website. That alone made my day.


1 Comment

Joanne

October 28, 2009 at 9:57 am

It is worth mentioning that the transportation sector: all the cars, trucks, trains, planes and ships combined only accounts for 13% of overall greenhouse gasses. The UN came out with a report that said livestock was responsible for 17% of overall greenhouse gasses and that was already a shocker and an important reason for everyone to give up meat immediately to halt climate change. 30% is nearly double what the UN said. So, I don’t know why our government and the environmentalists are still so stuck on promoting their electric vehicles and completely ignoring the big elephant in the room.

Leave a Reply

Search

SIGN UP FOR EMAILS