Faulty Arguments Against Veganism, pt. 8

Faulty Arguments Against Veganism, pt. 8

Read parts 1-6 here.

Can you imagine the world in twenty years if everyone were a vegan?  These poor people are so weak, they can hardly walk. Imagine a 90 lb. Marine trying to defend our country. He couldn’t even carry the gear he needs. Imagine a Iron worker, a connector, who tool pouch weighs more then him…the bottom line is a vegan is not as strong physicaly or mentally as a meat eater.

I’m fairly sure that this guy actually hasn’t met any vegans.  We certainly aren’t any weaker than the general population, and we’re generally in better health.  As far as whether we’re weak, well…

Bodybuilder Robert Cheeke

“In 2002 Robert started Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness, a company dedicated to promoting the vegan fitness lifestyle, empowering vegan athletes, and living by the words, ‘healthy food defines you.'”  (RobertCheeke.com)

UFC fighter, Mac Danzig

“…the 27 year old Danzig has carved his own path and along the way shattered stereotypical images. The lightweight fighter’s success evidences a fighter can be successful without the consumption of animal products.”  (The MMA Digest)

Dr. Ruth Heidrich

At over 70, Dr. Ruth Heidrich has been a vegan for over 25 years.  She is “a six-time Ironman Triathlon finisher, holder of more than 900 gold medals from every distance from 100 meter dashes to 5K road races to ultra marathons and triathlons.  She has completed more than 60 marathons all over the world…”  Read more here.

Vancouver's own Brendan Brazier

“He’s a professional Ironman triathlete, bestselling author on performance nutrition, and the creator of an award-winning line of whole food nutritional products called VEGA.” (BrendanBrazier.com)

Bodybuilder Kailla Edger

She claims to have “taught and/or taken up pilates, yoga, karate, mountain biking, swimming, water aerobics, step aerobics, kickboxing, bodybuilding, boot camp exercises, jogging…and that’s just the few I can remember right now.”  (VeganBodybuilding.com)

I didn’t stop because I ran out of vegan athletes.  I stopped because unlike them, I’m really lazy.

Note also that the Dieticians of Canada and the American Dietetic Association agree that:

…appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate and may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. Well-planned vegetarian diets are appropriate for individuals during all stages of the life-cycle including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood and adolescence and for athletes.

A few more links:

VeganBodybuilding.org

VeganPersonalTraining.com

VeganFitnessTeam.com

Tweets that mention Arguments Against Veganism, pt. 6 | Liberation BC blog — Topsy.com

January 20, 2010 at 10:16 pm

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Liberation BC, Lori Hutchings. Lori Hutchings said: RT @liberationbc: Arguments Against Veganism, pt. 6 | Liberation BC blog http://bit.ly/4qrYMX […]

Alison

January 21, 2010 at 10:20 am

What a great post. You should send it to the guy who made the ridiculous quote above. Also, if you’ve read the book “Diet for a New America”, there are mind-blowing stories in it that tell about many other amazing vegan athletes – some of the best in the world.

Wo_Dao

January 23, 2010 at 3:25 am

hah, for those who are into raw veganism (WITHOUT David Wolfe’s BS in the way), Harley Johnstone’s quite the direct inspiration, who goes with the 811 raw vegan path (none of that “raw gourmet with cacao), yet in his own way. I remember him winning many cycling competitions and all that. There’s also a support forum that will lead to other like-minded folks.

Joanne

February 6, 2010 at 7:24 pm

Don’t forget vegan powerhouse Georges Laraque!

Oh and Rich Roll

Jakob Poole

March 19, 2011 at 2:52 pm

As a 38 year-old, 15-year vegan, AND a bonafide card-carrying Ironworker (Local 97 BC/Yukon wassup), I can personally vouch for the high performance abilities of the vegan diet. Full respect to my brothers in the structural side of the trade, but I would venture to say that calorie-for-calorie there are few jobs on earth that can compare to humping rebar all day. An good lift and pack is 120 pounds which might have to be carried over 100 meters of very uneven terrain, hundreds of times a day for 8-12 hours straight. Routine maximum lifts can be as much as 250 pounds. As a 5-10, 160 pounder, I need every physical advantage I can get in a very competitive field. By no means the toughest guy in the rebar patch, I easily meet the average single lift range, and actually excell in terms of endurance. As a 38 year old vegan, I have out-ironworked every 25-year old carnivorous, gym-pass having, roid-freak that I have ever worked with. Far from wimpy, veganism is a physical advantage. This is just my experience. Doing what I do every day, it is hard for me to listen to some jackass pipe off about some shit they obviously know nothing about. Using Ironworking an an arguement against veganism will not pass me. Sorry buddy. Come work with me for a day, meathead.

March 20, 2011 at 9:45 am