Help revise our Talking Turkey leaflet

Help revise our Talking Turkey leaflet

I was engaged in a bit of an exchange with Gary Francione over the past couple of days, and he made a good point about our turkey leaflet – that it was exclusively focused on the treatment of turkeys.

Personally, I think it should still deal with treatment in some fashion, but it would improve it to have more about how we don’t need to eat turkeys, how they should have a right to live their own lives, etc.

I’d like to try an experiment. Would you like to help create a new version of this leaflet? You can  download the word document and make your edits that you think will improve the leaflet, then email it to me at glenn@liberationbc.org.

I’ll take all of the submitted comments and revisions into account when creating the new version.

You can also put your comments in the comments on this post.

I need to print leaflets on Monday, September 27, so please submit your comments before then. Thanks!

[Update]

I’ve made some changes to the leaflet . Not as many as all that were recommended here, but some. Read the revised leaflet.

Viral Vegan

September 25, 2010 at 11:58 am

Your turkey pamphlet should focus solely on “how they should have a right to live their own lives, etc.”

Viral Vegan

September 25, 2010 at 12:16 pm

If you must have a “Turkey” pamphlet at all,(speciesism)it should focus solely on “how they should have a right to live their own lives, etc.”

Gary L. Francione

September 25, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Given time constraints, I would reshape the pamphlet into two main sections. In section 1, I would point out (but condense) the treatment issues. I would make clear that many of these problems exist with “happy” turkeys (free-range, organic, etc.) as well. Make clear that there is *no* such thing as a “humane” or “happy” turkey.

I would then have a part 2 that starts, “But even if these problems of cruel treatment did not exist, would it not be morally justifiable to inflict any suffering, or to kill, however ‘humanely, these sentient birds.” I would then get into the notion that everyone who is reading the pamphlet agrees that it is wrong to inflict “unnecessary” suffering/death on animals and that there is no necessity here. Look at the Abolitionist Approach pamphlet that we have on our website (http://bit.ly/9ui8DG) and use that approach on the necessity issue.

Gary L. Francione
Professor, Rutgers University

September 25, 2010 at 3:51 pm

Would a pamphlet on women’s rights be considered sexist? Focus does not equal some sort of special consideration. If that were so, how could anyone speak specifically about an animal or species of animal without being speciesist? You would only be able to speak of “animals” in the abstract – and that would have approximately zero chance of reaching anyone.

pete

September 25, 2010 at 6:08 pm

I think the focus is good to attract and establish a more emotional personal connection with people.

*Then* you can lead them down the path of opening up their compassion for all the other animals. At that point, the focus isn’t so much on the animals in the abstract, but having that person focus on themselves (because as we all know, that is the primary focus of just about everyone), how their own personal choices and actions have consequences, and how their own personal values can be aligned into something less morally conflicted.

I think the two-part recommendation works to that end.

Joanne

September 25, 2010 at 6:16 pm

I like the current turkey leaflet. And I don’t think there’s anyway anyone can please Gary Francione.

September 27, 2010 at 12:07 am

What a clever and interactive way of creating a new leaflet!

Brandon Becker

September 27, 2010 at 9:37 am

I agree with Gary Francione’s advice above. Discussing the treatment of turkeys exposes reality and creates an empathetic connection to break through the speciesist barrier, while the moral argument against exploiting turkeys (and other nonhuman animals by extension) helps forge this compassion into a commitment to justice. In my experience, this approach is maximally effective at getting others to go vegan and helps build the movement for abolition.

Jessica MacLachlan

September 27, 2010 at 9:19 pm

I like that you (Liberation BC) created your own leaflet, there is a lot of good information already in the leaflet. My suggestion would be to add something about veganism, it would tie the general message of the leaflet all together in summary. It will show the Vancouver community that we can extend respect to not just turkeys, but all other animals as well, and do so everyday.
Thank you Glenn and the other volunteers for seeking out comments 😉

Jessica MacLachlan

September 27, 2010 at 9:52 pm

Well, more about veganism, because I missed the part where it was mentioned, heh !

October 2, 2010 at 9:06 pm

I’ve made some updates to the turkey leaflet -the new pdf is linked to from the update in the post.