Rob Laidlaw’s recommended reading list
Category : Uncategorized
During his presentation at our 2012 Animal Advocacy Camp, Rob Laidlaw of Zoocheck handed out a recommended reading list for effective activists.
Here it is:
- The Art of the Possible: A Handbook for Political Activism by Amanda Sussman (McClelland and Stewart, 2007)
- Animals and the Law by Lesli Bisgould (Irwin Law, 2012)
- Don’t Think of an Elephant!: Know Your Values and Frame the Debate, by George Lakoff (Chelsea Green Publishing, 2004)
- The Political Mind: Why You Can’t Understand 21st Century American Politics with an 18th Century Brain by George Lakoff (Viking, 2008)
- The Revolution Will Not be Televised: Democracy, the Internet, and the Overthrow of Everything by Joe Trippi (Harper, 2004)
- Toxic Sludge is Good for You: Lies, Damn Lies, and the Public Relations Industry by John Stauber and Sheldon Rampton (Common Courage Press, 1995)
- Trust Us, We’re Experts: How Industry Manipulates Science and Gambles with Your Future by Sheldon Rampton and John Stauber (Common Courage Press, 2001)
- Citizen Muckraking: How to Investigate and Right Wrongs in Your Community by the Centre for Public Integrity (Common Courage Press, 2000)
We also were fortunate enough to have three other fantastic speakers!
Camille Labchuck of the Green Party and Lawyers for Animal Welfare:
Lesley Fox of the Association for the Protection of Fur-Bearing Animals:
Sarah Kramer, cookbook author and owner of Sarah’s Place: Vegan Curio Shop: